For those of you who are visiting Boulder or are new to town, here are a few interesting tidbits about our lovely city.
1. If the mountains are on your left, you are in Boulder headed north.
2. If the mountains are on your right, you are in Boulder headed south.
3. If the mountains are ahead, you are on the plains going west. Keep going straight to Boulder. You will know that you are there by the quiet beauty and crisp mountain air.
4. Boulder is approximately 5,430 feet above sea level and the population of the City of Boulder is around 108,000. The population of Boulder County is approximately 319,000.
5. The City of Boulder encompasses 28 square miles at the foot of the Flatiron Mountains.
6. If you live in Boulder, all of your relatives and friends will visit you during the summer. Even casual acquaintances you haven't seen in 15 years will show up!
7. Boulder gets an average of 300 days of sunshine a year.
8. The other 65 days occur when you have out-of-town house guests who have heard about the 300 days of sunshine.
9. If you are a golfer, your drive will carry farther – and so will your slice. If you are a tennis player, use special high-altitude tennis balls or you won't get a first serve all day.
10. Make sure you consult a high-altitude cookbook, too! Water boils at a lower temperature and you will need to adjust the amount of ingredients you use for baking.
11. Take all weather forecasts with a grain of salt. If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change!
12. Try not to laugh at ski runs named Outhouse and Bassakwards.
13. If you really want to sound like a Colorado native, pronounce Pueblo as "pee-eblow" and Buena Vista as "byonnie vista".
14. In Boulder you must see Flagstaff Mountain, Chautauqua, the Pearl Street pedestrian mall. Learn how to spell Chautauqua without having to think about it.
15. At 5,430 feet of altitude, the sun feels stronger and your lungs feel weaker, so take it easy and watch your sun tan/burn! Also drink plenty of water.
16. You will get less mileage from a gallon of gas and more from a martini.
17. Ralphie the buffalo is the mascot for CU-Boulder’s football team, the CU Buffs. Wear your CU-Boulder apparel proudly and say “Go Buffs” a lot!
18. People who don't live in Boulder think everyone who does live here is an expert skier. Let them believe it.
19. You will find your garage is suddenly filled with at least three bikes per person, plus three different kinds of skis, kayaks, and many other Boulder toys.
20. Get to know the names of the trails in our local backyard ski area, Eldora Mountain Resort.
21. The first Flatiron is the one closest to Chautauqua. Then count going south.
22. From Baseline Road south, the mountains are Flagstaff Mountain, Green Mountain, and Bear Peak.
23. In 1979, Boulder Beer became Colorado’s first craft brewery. Now Boulder has more craft breweries per capita than any city in the nation, according to a report by Datafiniti. The city has 13.3 breweries for every 100,000 people. Colorado also leads the nation in breweries per capita among states.
24. Baseline Road runs along 40th parallel, the line of latitude that spans the globe.
25. Super Flag is the bike ride to the mailboxes on top of Flagstaff. Then there is Hyper Flag, which goes even farther!
This should help you get started on your journey to becoming a Boulder native -- or at least acting, looking, and sounding like one! There’s plenty of fascinating trivia, phrases, and truisms about Boulder. To learn more about Boulder, visit our relocation website at makeboulderhome.com.
If you can think of fun items to add to this list, I welcome you to e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Duane Duggan: Duane Duggan has been a Realtor® for RE/MAX of Boulder in Colorado since 1982 and has facilitated over 2,500 transactions over his career, the vast majority from repeat and referred clients. He has been awarded two of the highest honors bestowed by RE/MAX International: the Lifetime Achievement Award and the Circle of Legends Award. Living the life of a Realtor and being immersed in real estate led to the inception of his book, REALTOR® for Life. Also see his video podcasts about real estate topics on RE/MAX of Boulder’s YouTube channel.
For questions, email Duane at DuaneDuggan@BoulderCo.com or call 303-441-5611